edit: 6/18 I did a lot of painting over- redid the wing, moved a lot of the background around and changed up some coloring, gave the chick more rim lighting. I think it looks better.
You know when you work on something, and then you work on it some more- and then rework it, again, and again, and again, and the painting never really gets where you want it to be and instead its just overworked? Well- that was this painting.
There is a lot of polishing that could still go into this. But I think it's time to set it aside, move onto other things. I learned a lot from this- start with a more dramatic pose (the first version is terrible), seriously...don't shirk the thumbnails (I didn't do enough of them, which would have helped the pose), make sure there is a good foreground, middleground and background, and pay attention to your darks (there are way too many black in this, and it detracts from the focal point- I toned it down a bit, but I think it needs more work there).
Aside from the bad though, I like a few things. I'd like to play with the landscape structure more. I'm liking the angel's costuming a lot, and I like the design of the magic effect. I also really like that maroon in the wings, along with the general idea for the colors, so I might play with it more in a different painting and work on more subtle hue shifts within each block of color (I'm usually much better at that I feel, but for some reason the colors in this painting just seem flat...and even adding in more saturated colors, it never quite lost it's flatness.)